Youth & Teen fitness orientations
Our goal is to introduce activity
habits earlier in life that will help support healthy habits later in life. Each
branch operates policies based on the location of equipment. We hope you and your children enjoy a fun and safe activity!
Family Fit Orientation
As children grow older, they reduce outdoor play activities. Some young teens maintain their physical activity levels by participating in organized sports (teams), but others are left on their own, and exercise less and less as they get older.
All members ages 7 to 17 who are interested in working out at the Mission Valley YMCAs must complete the designated orientation(s) prior to receiving Fitness Center access. Upon orientation completion members will be walked to the Welcome Desk to receive their Y ID Badge and be documented within the system. For future workouts, upon arrival and card scan, the members age 7-12 will receive a daily wristband for safety identification that must be worn visibly at all times while visiting the branches.
Family Fit Orientation - Ages 7 - 12
- Following the completion of the Family Orientation, members will have access to use the all cardio equipment and Y-Express circuit machines. They will also be educated in performing body weight exercises.
- Since it is a family affair, parents or guardians must attend the orientation and work out with their youth in future visits. Members must pass a test and have parent consent at the end of the orientation, prior to facility access.
- Family Orientation wristbands are orange and will be issued at the Welcome Desk.
- NOTE: If your child completed an orientation prior to August 1, 2014 please check in the the Wellness Coach for guidance on using the additional cardio equipment (treadmill, AMT, elliptical, rower, etc.)
|LEVEL 1||Orientation||Ages ||Equipment Access|
|1||Family||7-12||All cardio equipment, Y-Express Circuit, and body weight exercises|
|2||Teen||13-17||All cardio equipment, strength machines, and free weights|
Exercise center Rules
- Members ages 7 to 17 are required to attend a fitness orientation.
- Members ages 7 to 12 may use all cardio equipment and YExpress strength machines. Parent/guardian must be on the premises while tween is in the fitness center.
- Mobile devices should be used in the lounge or hallway not on exercise machines.
- Cell phones must be turned off or set to "silent." All cell phone calls must be conducted outside the exercise centers.
- For sanitary purposes, please wipe off machines after use.
- Please observe the 30-minute time limit on all cardiovascular machines when other members are waiting.
- Appropriate exercise attire and footwear are required. Open toed and or open heeled shoes are not allowed.
- Beverages must be in plastic, sealed container. Please recycle.
- Allow other member to take turns or work in with you between sets on strength training equipment.
- Inappropriate conduct, the use of profanity, loud noises, and horseplay are not permitted.
- Excessive us of cologne, perfume, etc. is not permitted.
- Re-rack all weight plates, bars, and dumbbells after use.
- The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
Teen Fitness - Ages 13-17
- Following the completion of the Teen Orientation, members will have access to use all the cardio machines and all strength machines (Y-Express and Life Fitness Selectorized).
- Free weights can be accessed following completion of an additional orientation. Members must pass a test at the end of the orientation, prior to facility access.
* Must have at least three months experience using machine strength equipment (written workout card, or letter by sport coach indicating prior experience in free weight environment).
- Strength development
- Increase metabolism
- Improved coordination and balance
- Decreased incidence of injuries
- Enhanced energy
- Healthier self-image
APPOINTMENTSFor more information or to set up an appointment, call or stop by the Member Service Desk at either location:
Mission Valley (Friars Road): 619-298-3576
Toby Wells: 858-496-9622