Language Arts • Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEAM) • Leadership
For rising students in grades 5 through 7, Summerbridge is a five-week, tuition-free summer session that teaches the lessons of a lifetime. This program supports students’ social, emotional and leadership development in a safe and positive environment by focusing on parent involvement and strong mentorship with college/university students. Its mission is to accelerate academic achievement and to prepare youth for college and career opportunities. Selected Summerbridge students continue to learn throughout the school year as UCSD’s Partners at Learning (PAL) program continues Summerbridge’s work via individual tutoring and mentoring.
Visitor's day - July 20
Please join us on Visitor's Day, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., July 20. We are opening our doors to allow parents and the community to see what goes on at Summerbridge. Visitor's will be given the chance to sit in on a regular school day and observe the lessons that students receive on a daily basis.
Feel free to contact us for any questions and we hope to see you there.
Application Open - March 1, 2016
Application Deadline - March 25, 2016
- Student Notification - April 29, 2016
- Parent Orientation - TBA
Dates - June 27 - July 29, 2016
- Student Statement: Please complete this form (PDF). Be sure to print it and write in pen, or type into this document. We suggest that you do a rough draft and show it to someone before you fill out the final application. Also, please send us a recent photograph of yourself.
- Parent or Guardian Statement: Please have your parent(s) or guardian(s) complete this form.
- Teacher Reference Form: Give this form to your current academic teacher to fill out and forward to our office.
- Submit via email: Email to Itzel Velasco at [email protected].
Students who are eligible for re-enrollment should have received a letter in the mail inviting them to attend our Informational/Registration Meeting.
Please contact Itzel Velasco ([email protected], 619-572-4954) if you:
- could not attend the Registration Meeting,
- think you didn't get your invitation by accident, and/or
- have unanswered questions
Ninth Grade Application
The following are actions required in order to be considered to return as an incoming ninth grade student:
- Fill out/submit re-enrollment form
- Submit a copy of your most recent and up-to-date transcript
- Submit letter of recommendation from a teacher or staff member from your school answering why you should attend Summerbridge
- Submit a response to the following prompt: How has Summerbridge helped you grow as a leader? How will you be practicing your leadership as the oldest students of the program and role models of the younger students?
All documents should be sent via email to Itzel Velasco at [email protected].
UCSD Partners at Learning (PAL)
UCSD’s PAL tutors and
mentors contribute to San Diego’s schools by providing one-on-one or small-group interaction with preK-12th grade students. UCSD students are
providing a consistent presence in young students’ lives. UCSD PAL students
spend at least 40 hours per week at their assigned school site.
BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR
Being an instructor at Summerbridge provides a worthwhile five-week teaching experience without a teaching credential. Instructors will be responsible for a classroom of 10 to 15 students ranging from 9 to 14 years of age, and will create a daily curriculum with the guidance of academic coaches in every step. To become an instructor or read more about the position, see the online Instructor Application.
- Instructor Application Open - April 15
- Instructor Application Deadline - April 30
- Instructor Interviews - TBA
Please call us at 619-572-4954 or email:
How do I submit my application?
You can download the application from the website (see link on this page). Once it’s downloaded, it will be possible to type in the information and send it through email to Angel Rocha, [email protected].
The PDF can’t be edited on my computer. What should I do?
You can print the document, fill out the information and send a scanned copy of the application to Angel Rocha, [email protected]. If you do not have a scanner available, you can mail it to the Mission Valley YMCA branch, 5505 Friars Road, San Diego, CA 92110, or and drop it off in person.
What is the address I should send the application to?
Mission Valley YMCA, 5505 Friars Road, San Diego, CA 92110. Make sure to address it to Summerbridge San Diego.
When will we find out if our student was selected?
Student notifications will be April 22. In this notification, we will give information about our next mandatory meeting which will take place May 28. Please make sure you’re inputting your most updated contact information in the enrollment forms so we know how to reach you.
What school does my student have to go to in order to apply?
We prioritize applications from the following
schools: Oak Park, Hawthorne, Chollas-Mead, Lee, Fulton,
Freeze, Encanto, Sherman, McKinley, Florence.
If you are applying from a school that is not in the area, we will still consider you. Be aware that we will prioritize students from the listed schools, but we will not turn away anyone as an applicant.
During what dates does Summerbridge take place? If my student misses a few days of the program for a vacation can I still apply?
Our program runs from June 27 to July 29. Because our program is only five weeks long, missing a single week results in missing out on 20 percen of the content. Since spots for this program are very limited, we recommend you refrain from applying to allow someone else who will not miss days to attend.
I still have
more questions that are not answered, who should I contact?
Feel free to call 619-572-4954 and ask for Program
Assistant Itzel Velasco or Program Supervisor Angel Rocha.
If no one answers, leave a voicemail, and we will get back to you as soon as