Mission Valley • Toby Wells
A benefit for our family members!
Ages 6 weeks to 12 years
Our qualified, caring staff will take good care of your child while you use our facilities. Children ages 6 weeks to 12 years are welcome in Child Watch. See the schedules below for special care options for infants and for children age 6 and older at our Kids Clubhouse.
Child Watch Hours
Ages 6 weeks to 12 years
Child Watch is a member benefit for family members, as well as people on a free guest pass. Program participants and Day Pass users are not granted access.
|Mon-Fri||7:45 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.|
|Closed for one hour for cleaning 2 p.m. - 3 p.m.|
|3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
|Sat||8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.|
|Sun||9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.|
|Note: Two-hour time limit. During busy times or at staff discretion, a wait list my be utilized to maintain good safety practices. |
Peak busy times:
During busy times, a wait list may be utilized to maintain good safety practices.
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Monday - Friday: 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat -Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Children picked up after the maximum time limit or after closing may lose Child Watch privileges. We will not check in kids 30 minutes before closing. Children must be checked out for four hours before returning to the program on the same day.
Infant Care6 weeks old to stable walking
- Infant care is from 7:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, and we require that children be checked in at the portable building that is near the east parking lot at Mission Valley Y and near the park at Toby Wells Y. After 3 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends, children should be checked into Child Watch in the main building.
- Staff will provide an age-appropriate environment for infants.
Changing table available for parents only.
- Staff will use a text-message system for parent communication.
- This new infant care facility will allow your Child Watch staff to serve more children during peak hours. If you are unsure of where to take your child, please speak to the staff.
Kids Club Fun activities for ages 6-12!
We've reserved time in our Kids Clubhouse for special activities for children ages 6 to 12. The clubhouse is located in the portable building near the east parking lot at Mission Valley Y and near the park at Toby Wells Y.
This handy space accommodates our infants in the morning and then transforms to a fun space for the Kids Club group later in the day.
- Kids Club meets in the portable after 3 p.m., Monday – Thursday, and in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday. Additional hours: Mornings during all SDUSD’s school breaks (traditional calendar; see monthly schedule for details).·
- Children will have access to the indoor portable area as well as playground, outdoor bathrooms and field area. Playground and outdoor play times will depend on seasons. All indoor activities will take place in the portable.
- Check the monthly schedule for details.
|Sat||8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
|Sun||9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
Toy Donations AppreciatedWe ask that if you have slightly used toys, games, books, or puzzles in good condition, please consider Child Watch when needing to donate your items.
Your Child’s First Visit
Some children may feel comfortable immediately in Child Watch, and other children may need some time to adjust. On your first visit, we recommend you plan to spend 10 to 15 minutes in Child Watch with your child and the staff before your workout. Please share special instructions or concerns regarding your child with staff, and review the procedures and policies of Child Watch.
We want to work with you to make sure your
child has a fun and positive experience with
- Introduce your child to the area and the staff.
- Review posted policies.
- Present your membership card to staff upon check-in and check-out.
- Label all belongings.
- Share special instructions or concerns regarding your child with staff.
- Have a great workout!
Child Safety StatementAt the YMCA, we place extreme value on children’s emotional well-being and physical safety. We are rigorous in our employee screening and selection process. Interviews, reference checks, fingerprinting, and our Staff Code of Conduct are all proven-practices to ensure proper staffing.
Once hired, all staff attend a YMCA of the USA Child Abuse Prevention Training Program, and our management staff receive additional training in this area. Additionally, policy disallows any contact
between children and staff outside of YMCA programs or facilities.
We ensure proper staffing and knowledge through YMCA policies and guidelines that include:
- Staff/Child relationships
- Staff recruitment, training and supervision
- Parent’s Rights and Responsibilities
- All YMCA staff are mandated reporters of suspected child abuse and are trained in proper reporting procedures to Child Protective Services.
Our Staff & Volunteers
Parents, teachers and students with
interests and training in child development make up our team of
dedicated staff. We perform background and reference checks on all staff
and volunteers. All staff are certified in infant/adult CPR and first aid.
Policies and Procedures
- Adults must stay on the premises at all times and must let staff know where they will be located.
- The adult who signs the child in must be the one to sign the child out.
- Picture ID required at all times. If you do not have a membership card, you will be required to show another form of ID and proof of family membership.
- All beverages and personal items must in closed containers (sippy cups) and be labeled with the child’s name. Beverages must be clear liquid or milk only. Formula must be premixed and ready for baby.
- We do not allow children to bring in any snacks, outside toys or electronics. Comfort items are allowed and are weaned after the first couple of visits to aid in the child's growth.
- Notify staff at time of check-in if your child has any allergies.
- Children are asked to pick up after themselves prior to leaving.
- Always bring your child in a clean diaper. For your convenience, diaper
changers are located in the restrooms near lobby area and in the locker
rooms. For health and safety reasons, we do not change diapers.
- During Kids Club and infant care hours, we require check in at the portable space (east parking area at Mission Valley Y and near the park at Toby Wells Y).
children on a Mission Valley YMCA family membership may access Child Watch.
Only parents and legal guardians may check in children to Child Watch. Child Watch Staff have the right to verify membership at anytime.
- Shoes are required at all times for children who are old enough to walk.
- Sick children are not allowed in Child Watch. If your child has a runny nose, cough or fever, you will be asked to take him or her home. (All illnesses are determined at staff’s discretion.)
- Please, no cellphones in Child Watch or Kids Club.
- Parents will be notified immediately about biting or other aggressive behavior. Depending on severity, the child may be suspended for up to one month.
- Children ages 6 to 12 are required to attend Kids Club when it is offered.