YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®
Saturday, April 30th
Dan McKinney YMCA - 10am-1pm
Shepherd YMCA - 11am-1pm
The Y is celebrating YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve the health and well-being of kids and families.
- YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day will include fun active play and educational activities to keep kids moving and learning, in order to maintain healthy habits and academic skills to achieve goals and reach their full potential.
- Millions of children and their families are expected to participate in YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day at more than 1,300 events across the country.
- Kids are less physically active and engaged in learning during the summer months. In fact, research shows that children gain weight two to three times faster during the summer vacation than during the school year.
- In addition, kids, particularly from low-income families, fall behind academically because they don’t have access to out-of-school learning opportunities. In fact, by fifth grade, low-income kids are two to three school years behind middle-income children.
- The Y is so much more than sports, swimming and gymnastics, and a place for kids to hang out. The Y supports families in their efforts to teach healthy habits and keep kids active and learning, preparing them for a brighter future. It’s part of the Y’s promise to strengthen communities.
For more than 20 years, YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day has celebrated kids’ health and continues to teach healthy habits for kids and families, encourage active play, and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity.
As a leading non-profit committed to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y is addressing critical gaps in kids’ health and education.
For More InformationSue Cubillas
Contact at (858) 453-3483 or by email at [email protected]