Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
We know you have a lot of questions regarding the construction of the new facility, membership timelines, programming at the new Y, etc. Our staff are working diligently to provide you with all of the answers to these important questions. Stay tuned for updates on this page as construction of the new facility begins!
When will construction start and how long will it last?
- On March 1, 2016 we temporarily closed our doors to break ground on our highly anticipated new facility.
- Our project received approval from the San Diego Planning Commission agenda on February 25, 2016.
- Demolition began on March 21, 2016. Grading, and Building Permits are expected to follow in mid-March.
- Construction will last twelve to eighteen months.
Will the YMCA be open during construction?
- No. We are in a very unique situation due to the vastness of this amazing and exciting project. We hope all members continue to make their health and wellness goals a priority and begin taking advantage of the YMCA All Access benefits. Members have access to 16 locations throughout San Diego County, including our East Region partners – the East County Family YMCA’s: The John A. Davis Family YMCA, 8881 Dallas Street, La Mesa; The McGrath Family YMCA 12006 Campo Road, Spring Valley, 91978; The Cameron Family YMCA, 10123 Riverwalk Drive, Santee and the Copley-Price Family YMCA which is just 4 miles from the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA
Will the new YMCA still remain at 151 YMCA Way?
- Yes. With a strong impact this YMCA has had on Southeastern San Diego residents since 1943, our plan is to build on this foundation and outreach to more kids, families and adults who need us most!
Will any programs be relocated?
- Yes. We are happy to announce that your Jackie Robinson Family YMCA’s presence will still be felt with Sports and Day Camp. Both programs will be available at various locations in our community.
What will the new YMCA include in Phase I?
- Jackie Robinson Family YMCA All-Star Complex [Baseball, Flag Football, T-Ball, Softball, and Soccer]
- A 50,000 square-foot full-service YMCA
- Fully functional and outfitted state-of-the-art Saxten Family Fitness & Wellness Center
- Gymnasium featuring 2 basketball courts
- Community Multi-Purpose Room
- Child Watch Center and Kid's Adventure
- Inter-Generational Room
- Teen/Technology Center
- 2 Multi-Purpose Group Exercise Studios
- Cycling Studio
- Mind and Body Exercise Studio
- Men's, Women's and Family Changing/ Locker Rooms
- Member Lounge
What will the new YMCA include in Phase II?
- Aquatic Center with a 25 yard, 6 lane competitive length pool and a warm water family swimming pool. Both pools will be enclosed with a retractable roof enclosure
- Aquatics Center Splash Pad
- Outdoor Basketball and Soccer arenas
Who will I contact or where do I go if I need to register for Sports, Camp, Membership Questions, or Scholarship needs?
- If you have any questions, please contact our Membership Department by phone at (619)264-0144 ext. 13915 or email at jrfeedback.org. To accommodate our members needs our membership office located at 151 YMCA Way, San Diego, CA 92102 will be open March 1-18, Monday-Friday from 7am-10am, 3pm-6:30pm.
- The short answer is absolutely! However, without knowing what the future holds for our Y-team member’s lives, we want all members to know how much we value our staff and have worked extremely hard to temporarily place them at a Y in San Diego. Our hope and desire is that qualified staff return to us once the Y re-opens. Some staff will remain working on the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA Capital project while in construction.
- As an organization, the YMCA reviews membership
and program fee structures annually.
- Membership fees are based on an analysis of staffing needs, utility costs, and equipment improvements.
How many more families and individuals will this YMCA serve due to this new YMCA?
- Our main priority is to retain members and strengthen our impact in the community. A market study was conducted prior to planning this capital development program. It showed that our community has a great need and desire for more health and wellness classes, an increase in programs and more. With the new YMCA we are expected to grow from reaching 1,000 households annually to approximately 5,000.
- There are 72,000 households in the 92102, 92113, 92114, 92139 zip codes served by the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA.
- A new Jackie Robinson Family YMCA one block off I-805 at Imperial Avenue is projected to attract even more families with an enhanced visibility to over 300,000 daily commuters.
- The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA is excited about our $6,000,000 alliance partnership with the State of California that will completely restore Chollas Creek that runs through the north portion of our property and west of our new acquisition off of YMCA Way. The goal of this project is to continue the incremental restoration of Chollas Creek, an abused, polluted, and partially concrete-lined urban creek draining a large area of the City of San Diego into the San Diego Bay.
- The partnership enthusiastically supports the opportunity to integrate recreational and nature educational opportunities with current facilities and programs. Native vegetation and a pedestrian trail with interpretive exhibits will also be included with a vision of connecting Imperial Marketplace and Market Creek Plaza by a path similar to the San Diego River Walk in Mission Valley.
How is the YMCA funding this new YMCA?
- The $26 million capital project (not including $6 million for Chollas Creek) will be funded by grants, foundations, and private donors. Over $20 million has been generously donated so far by individuals, foundations, and grant partners to make this project a reality. We still need to raise 6 million through room naming opportunities, outdoor sports facilities, and an aquatics center.
- With generous support, this YMCA can be the answer to so many hopes, dreams and needs. The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA still needs contributions to make this project a reality, and room naming opportunities are still available. For more information about how you can be a part of the Safe at Home Campaign, please contact Michael Brunker at 619.264.1451 or [email protected]
- Yes, additional parking is factored into the project.
- Please visit the Member Service Desk to make sure we have all of your current contact information so that we can keep you in the loop. Bookmark our website…http://www.ymca.org/jackierobinson/our-new-y.html
For day to day updates...
Facebook - "Like" us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/JackieRobinsonFamilyYMCA
For monthly updates...
Subscribe to our E-Newsletter by going online at jackierobinson.ymca.org
For Major Announcements...
Newspaper Press Releases
If you have any more questions or concerns about the renovation, please give us a call at 619.264.0144, or email [email protected]
Thanks for your ongoing support and patience with us during this exciting project!