The Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA Bike-A-Thon was started in 2002 by YMCA Spin Instructor, Robin Missailidis, and her team of “Spin Sisters,” Patty Barry and Laura Platenburg. In an effort to get the spin community more involved in the YMCA’s Annual Support Campaign, this event was created to raise money for those youth, families and seniors in need, to access YMCA programs through Scholarships. The inaugural event consisted of 3 hours of spin bike riding and raised $1,100.
In its short history, the Bike-A-Thon has grown from raising just over $1,000 to over $56,000 each year and over half a million in 15 years! This is due to the huge support and dedication of our committee, team captains, riders and sponsors.
This years event will be eight hours of jam packed energy and fun made up of over 40 teams and 300 participants. This will support the local community and Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA.
Last year, these efforts and funds allowed us to:
- Serve over 3,500 low-income children, families and seniors to participate in YMCA programs through the Scholarships Program.
- Provide outreach programming such as Adaptive Swim, military memberships, seminars and so much more.
- Give over 220 children who parents are active duty military the time of their lives at either a week long day camp or week long camping trip.
- Open our doors to 4,000 seniors to delight in socializing in book clubs, potlucks, valuable seminars and health screening tests.
- Partner with 9 local agencies to serve children in critical life situations such as poverty, abuse or loss with fun activities in a safe environment
- Offer 52 children with physical and learning disabilities the opportunity to be mainstreamed into YMCA summer day camp.
For more information please contact Paula Ford at
760.942.9622 ext 12548 or firstname.lastname@example.org