Ymca CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
The Character Development Committee’s vision is to promote the Y's core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in the communities we serve. Through our service we harness the Y movement's collective power to contribute to the strengthening of our nation's character. These four core values are widely accepted and promoted within the Y movement:
- Demonstrate a sincere concern for others, for their needs and well-being.
- Related values include compassion, forgiveness, generosity, and kindness.
- Tell the truth, to demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness through actions that are in keeping with your stated positions and beliefs.
- Related values include integrity and fairness.
- Treat others as you would want them to treat you, value the worth of every person, including yourself.
- Related values include acceptance, empathy, self-respect and tolerance.
- Do the right thing. Be accountable for your choices of behavior, actions and promises.
- Related values include commitment, courage, good health, service and citizenship.
Promoting the Y core values
Special delivery from our Character Energizers to Christie’s Place, a nonprofit social service organization in San Diego that provides comprehensive HIV/AIDS education, support, and advocacy to women, children and families impacted by HIV/AIDS.
Character Energizers help care for the San Diego River Garden and make it attractive for the community. Activities consist of caring for Edelberry, (the agency’s adopted tree) through watering, weeding, and path maintenance.
Super Stars of Character
Tim Deak, Eunice Sifuentes, Roberto Ruvalcaba, Debbie Macdonald, Anne Schlitz, and Catalina Palacios
Every quarter the Character Energizers recognize the “Super Stars of Character” at Childcare Resource Service who demonstrate the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.