"The YMCA of San Diego County is dedicated to improving the quality of human life and to helping all people realize their fullest potential as children of God through development of the spirit, mind and body."
Our CauseAt the Y, strengthening communities is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
What we doThe Y makes accessible the support and opportunities that empower people and communities to learn, grow and thrive. With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y nurtures the potential of every youth and teen, improves the nation's health and well-being, and provides opportunities to give back and support neighbors.
How we do it
There is no other nonprofit like the Y. That's because in 10, 000 neighborhoods across the nation, we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but deliver, lasting personal and social change.
- The Y is community centered. For nearly 160 years, we've been listening and responding to our communities.
- The Y brings people together. We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to bridge the games in community needs.
- The Y nurtures potential. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
- The Y has local presence and national reach. We mobilize local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change.
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
With the Y’s help, kids in neighborhoods across San Diego County are more interested in learning and making smarter life choices. At the Y, kids learn their ABCs, learn to share, learn about sportsmanship, build leadership skills and most importantly, learn how to be themselves. That makes for confident kids today and contributing and engaged adults tomorrow.
- HEALTHY LIVING
Because the Y is for everyone, we bring together children, adults and families of all abilities like no other organization can. As a result, hundreds of thousands in San Diego County are receiving the support, guidance and resources needed to achieve greater health and well-being for their spirit, mind and body.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Thanks to the generosity of volunteers and public and private donors who give to the Y, our community is stronger. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
- The strength of
the YMCA is centered around volunteerism.
- Individuals band together to render service.
- Community collaborations are formed as a means to accomplishing the Mission.
- Adults and youth work together as members and participants.
- The YMCA involves members and participants as opposed to customers or consumers and works to foster long term involvement.
a membership organization the YMCA is an Association of people where
individuals grow and develop by moving from a casual to a committed
relationship with the organization that benefits the common good.
people are welcome to participate regardless of race, age, gender,
sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, religion, or ability to pay.
YMCA is not an "agency", it is an Association of people working
together to improve the quality of life for families, individuals, and
- The YMCA is people united in a common effort to put Judeo-Christian principles into practice.
- Strengthen and enrich family life.
- Build self-esteem and nurture personal growth.
- Appreciate the world.
- Develop leadership and strengthen communities.
- Encourage healthy lifestyles that provide healthy development of the spirit, mind and body.
- Teach and demonstrate the YMCA Character Development values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.