DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIONThe Y excels by intentionally engaging the entire organization and actively involving staff, and volunteers in the development and implementation of diversity, inclusion, and global efforts. This helps YMCAs create an environment where members and the community feel appreciated, connected and welcomed. Ensuring that Y staff, volunteers, members and community stakeholders know and represent the community is vital to organizational success and advancing the Y’s cause of strengthening community.
Recruitment and Inclusion
The Y actively and intentionally recruits from a diverse pool of candidates and actively seeks ways to develop an inclusive environment where staff, volunteers, and members feel appreciated and valued. We have a variety of engagement opportunities such as:
- YMCA staff and volunteers are encouraged to participate in Employee Resource Groups
- YMCA staff and volunteers serve on committees and working groups to further develop our Diversity, Inclusion, and Global strategy. To find out how you can become further engaged in these efforts please contact Cristina Ballesteros at email@example.com.
Staff and volunteers are trained to be inclusive leaders through the development of cultural competencies and through participation in a variety of professional development opportunities.
The Y focuses on the development of our future leaders and has a variety of different leadership development programs including:
- Bridge the Gap Program - a mentoring based program focusing on developing part time staff of underrepresented groups.
- Rising Stars Mentor Program - a program designed to develop our next generation of leadership by finding seasoned mentors to assist with career development.
- Multicultural Development Program - a career development program for multicultural staff.
For more information regarding global outreach, please contact Cristina Ballesteros, Association Director – Diversity, Inclusion at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 292-9622.